

In the beginning of an infants life they eat, sleep and poop. That has been baby Kate's routine for 9 weeks, until yesterday. She woke up! She was awake most of the day and took a few short naps (an hour here, an hour there). Ethan was a bear... he's had his hand in his mouth a lot lately...teething? sore throat? So, my day was difficult to say the least. I call from about 4:30 until after baths my personal "hell". I like to start dinner at 4:30-5. Yesterday at that time, Kate was screaming in the swing, Ethan was having trouble staying out of the silverware drawer, and the twins were practicing their numbers at the table (they still get their 2's, 3's, and 5's backwards). I was cooking chicken on the grill, corn and mac-n-cheese on the stove, trying to keep my son from forking his sisters, searching for a binky for baby sister, and watching the twins doodle on the page of homework mom created. The phone rings and someone knocks at the door. Okay, ignore the phone, pick up the screaming baby, stir the noodles, grab the fork from Ethan, tell the twins to "get to work" and answer the door. It's my neighbor who wants to chat....how do I get her to leave?? The twins are yelling at brother and I hear the sizzle of the water boiling over in the kitchen. Okay neighbor, gotta go! She is a mom, doesn't she know that this is the worst time to come visit??
I won't bore you and go on about our chaos, although it is quite entertaining to write about. You should see dinnertime and the spills and begging to be done eating and clean up...then bath time with splashing and soap in the eyes and fighting over who gets to sit by the faucet!!! I literally crash after the kids go to bed (and that is at 8:00pm SHARP) But it's not even over then. The twins are never down. They come into my room at least twice and have excuses for not being able to get to sleep. Drew is so funny. Her perception of my late night life is so distorted. Most every night she asks me, "Mom, is it great being big and getting to go to bed whenever you want? Is it cool to do anything you want after we are in bed?" HA! I smile and tell her, "yes Drew, it is". She just can't wait to be 36 like her mom!
No comments:
Post a Comment