Thursday, October 2, 2008

Kate, Katie, and McKenna



I took Kate to the doc yesterday for her 2 month checkup and shots. Dr. Bhakta confirmed it...she's a fat girl with a tiny head! She is in the 90th percentile for weight and height (12.7 lbs and 24 " long) and the 25th percentile for head circumference (14 "). Then she got 3 shots. She did okay. I stuck her on the boob right after the last shot so she got quiet fast....she is such a boobie baby!!!

Aunt Katie turned the big 3 0 yesterday!!! Our family celebrated with a dinner (chicken spag) and cake and icecream (as we do for everyone's birthday). This is a tradition we all love and thank our mother for doing. She got a new "do" and looks fab. She just had a baby 4 months ago and looks great. She was in a great mood and why shouldn't she be. She really has it all. She's got her body back, a beautiful healthy baby girl, and my brother for a husband. He's not perfect (as none of us are...except for me..he,he) but he was raised by my mother. She instilled in us an infallible set of values and some integrity. She was an at-home mom for all of our adolescent lives and devoted herself to her children. We didnt' always have everything we wanted, but we had HER. So, I reflected on my own life at that exact age....I'll never forget it. The day before I turned 30 Drew was just released from the hospital to come home after a 5 week stay in the NICU. McKenna had been home for a week. I was emotionlly a wreck and physically exhausted. I was living with my mother, didn't have a job, didn't have a husband, and was about to embark on a life raising preemie, cholically, refluxy twin girls by myself. Life was bleak to say the least. But, look at me now! Ha. Wow. I made it though...by the grace of God. Katie is so much smarter than I was at that age. She is sure a better decision maker!

Okay, onto McKenna. She came to me last night at about one in the morning and said that her "peepee" hurt. Geez, Im no doctor. What do you do? So, I told her to go get a wash rag and put it in her panties and to get in the bed with me (what was the wash rag for? I don't know). Then she started crying. I knew that I had to do something more. So, I got her up and put her in the tub. I told her that sitting in warm water helped me when my "peepee" hurt. After a few minutes, she looked up at me and I realized that I didn't know how to talk to her. I know exactly how to talk to Drew, she is a little "me". So, I thought I'd start by asking questions. I told her that I wanted to come eat lunch with her at school soon and that maybe Drew and her new friend Allyson could sit with us...would she like that. She said she would but that she thinks Drew's friend doesnt like her. She said that she wanted to talk with her on the phone like Drew does. I assured her that Allyson liked her (I mean, whats not to like?) and that she could be first on the phone with her tomorrow. She asked if she could call her friend Kenlee and I told her yes but just for a few minutes. She looked up at me with the biggest smile and said, "Mom, my peepee feels better, it feels much better." I dried her off and gave her the biggest hug and put her in my bed. She's so cute. I've been so attuned to Drew and her needs lately that I didnt meet Kenna's. I just forget that even though she seems to "have it all together", she still needs me. She is so precious.

No comments: